Margery Lowens Dissertation Research Fellowship
The Fellowship honors Margery Morgan Lowens, a founding member of the Sonneck Society for American Music, who played a pivotal role in its growth through her service, support, commitment, and philanthropy. Margery Lowens served as the society's first vice-president, while her husband, Irving Lowens, also a founder of our society, served as president. The fellowship seeks to address her vision, developed through her career as a scholar and teacher, of supporting student research at the early stages of the dissertation process.
The Margery Morgan Lowens Dissertation Research Fellowship is awarded competitively to students at the early stages of their dissertation research on American music. The Society for American Music is dedicated to the study, teaching, creation and dissemination of all musics in the Americas. The Fellowship may support research expenses, including but not limited to travel expenses, books, and media resources. The maximum award is $4,000. A one-page budget and final report are to be submitted by the recipient to the Executive Director of the Society no more than one year after the award is presented.
Fellowship applications are limited to students who achieved Ph.D. candidacy between Jan. 1, 2015 and June 1, 2016.
How to Apply
Please submit the following by June 1, 2016 via email to Judy Tsou.
- A one-page letter of application with contact information, including address, email address, and telephone number.
- A copy of your dissertation proposal.
- A narrative of no more than five pages (double-spaced) that describes the scope of your intended fellowship research and the need for funding.
- A one-page budget listing all expenses requested.
- A letter of reference from your dissertation advisor. The letter should be sent separately to the committee chair, and it must include the official date when you achieved Ph.D. candidacy (between Jan. 1, 2015 and June 1, 2016).
Judy Tsou (2016-2018), chair; Patrick Warfield (2016-2019), Linda Pohly (2016-2017)