43rd Annual Conference
22-26 March 2017
Hosted by McGill University
Conference Hotel Information
Marriott Chateau Champlain
1050 de la Gauchetiere West
Montreal Quebec H3B 4C9
Room Rates and Reservations
- $150 CAD per night for Single or Double, plus applicable taxes
- $10.00 for each additional person (maximum of four people per room)
Note: You must make your reservation by phone to receive this reduced price. The online system will charge you incorrectly!
- Complimentary wifi in the guest rooms and in the meeting rooms for guests of the hotel.
» Reserve now! (Early reserveration ends February 5. All reservations must be made by March 4, 2017)
NEW! The Canadian Border Services Agency has provided a letter that recognizes our event in Montreal. This letter is not required but we strongly encourage everyone traveling to the conference to carry it with them, along with their passport, for presentation when crossing the border.
» Airport Transportation
- Airport shuttle – Departs every 15 minutes from terminal to a stop one block from Marriott (cost: $10) (more info)
- Taxi – $40 flat rate to hotel (regular taxis at Arrivals level; electric Teslas from Teo Taxi at Departures level)
Register online now! (Printable form) Please note that we are requiring members to submit their membership number during registration. If you don't remember it, contact Mariana Whitmer in the SAM office .
- Guidebook Landing Page (for mobile users to download the conference's Guide into the Guidebook app; tap this link to get started!)
- Preliminary program (Continuously updated)
- Presentation abstracts
- Seminar papers (Conference registration required for access)
- Exhibitor Information
Montreal Organ Crawl - $50.00 (Reservations required, limited space)
History of Jazz in Montreal Walking Tour - $15.00 (Reservations required, limited space)
An entertaining walking tour through downtown Montreal that tells the story of jazz and its connection to the city from the 1920s until the foundation of the Festival International de Jazz in 1980. You’ll see what has become of former clubs such as Rockhead’s Paradise, the Rising Sun and Chez Parée, clubs that greeted well known and lesser-known jazz musicians from here and from afar.
The tour starts in front the old Windsor Station and ends at the Maison du festival on Ste. Catherine's Street. Enthusiastic guide, old photos and music recordings are all part of the tour!
The tour will start and end at the Marriott. Please dress for the weather since the tour is mainly outdoors. This is a walking tour, so please wear comfortable shoes.
- Price: $15 (Limited to 15 participants)
- Tour starts at 2:30 pm (please have lunch before the tour)
- Tour ends at 5:00 pm
- You may sign up by updating your online registration or on-site in Montreal.
Schulich in Concert: Canadian Music Concert
- Concert begins at 7:30 pm
- Tickets are required (purchase online or at the door)
- Transportation will be provided. Details will be available at the conference.
- More information about the concert
Concert in Honor of Vivian Perlis
Redpath Hall, McGill University
- Free admission
- Concert begins at 7 pm. Busses leave at 6:30 pm (or walk 20 min.)
- Preview the program
2017 Program Committee
Steve Swayne (Dartmouth College), chair
Christina Baade (McMaster University)
Glenda Goodman (University of Pennsylvania)
Paul Laird (University of Kansas)
Kip Lornell (George Washington University)
Tracy McMullen (Bowdoin College)
Conference Local Arrangements Committee
Lisa Barg (McGill University), chair