The benefits of membership in the Society for American Music include:
- A network of colleagues who share similar interests.
- Annual conference where you can share information about American music.
- Interest groups which hold sessions at the annual conference and sponsor online communities.
- Publications of the Society, including:
- Journal of the Society for American Music: Your subscription to the Journal of the Society for American Music is ordered by the Society each year from the publisher, Cambridge University Press. Publication is in February, May, August, and November. If you do not receive your journal, contact the Society to make sure that your membership is current and that the address is correct.
- The Society for American Music Bulletin, which includes news of the Society, upcoming conferences of interest, recent research and reviews, and other communications of interest to members.
- Discounted annual subscriptions to American Music (separate order required - not automatic).
- Access to our online Member Directory.
- Access to our American Music Forum. Join the discussion of various topics in American music.
- Access to our SAM Community Forum.
- Eligibility for awards, fellowships, and subventions sponsored by the Society.
Special Publisher-Sponsored Benefits
ACLS Humanities E-Book Collection
SAM members can subscribe to the digital collection of over 3,700 titles in the ACLS Humanities E-Book collection. Titles have been selected and peer reviewed by ACLS constituent learned societies for their continued value in teaching and researching, and approximately 500 are being added each year. The collection includes both in- and out-of-print titles ranging from the 1880s to the current year. Titles link to publishers’ websites and to online reviews in JSTOR, Project MUSE, and other sites.
Individual subscriptions are ideal for those whose school might not yet have an institutional subscription to HEB or for individual members who might not be affiliated with a subscribing institution. Individual subscriptions are USD $40.00 for a twelve-month, renewable, subscription. $15 of your subscription will come back directly to the Society for American Music and the balance will help sustain HEB as a resource for the entire scholarly community. Click here for more information on how to subscribe.
OUP-SAM Partnership Webstore
Visit Oxford University Press’ SAM webstore to take advantage of discounts across OUP’s catalog of titles, including hundreds of titles on American Music.